Race to Increase Science Education in Underrepresented Populations (RISE-UP)
RISE-UP is an external outreach opportunity founded by SACNAS@UCSD in 2015. The goal is to fill the void in science education in the classroom (K-8) at San Diego County Schools with predominately underrepresented groups of students. We have two goals in our program:
1. Perform science experiments in the classroom with the students and expose them to hands-on science.
2. Provide contact information to be the guide and role model for the students as they progress through school.
Our hope is that RISE-UP helps to inspire the next generation of scientists!
Salk Mobile Lab
- The Salk Mobile Lab was established in 1996 and focuses on teaching middle school students from underrepresented groups across San Diego County (18 schools each year)
- -The subject matter includes isolating DNA and using electrophoresis along with other biological techniques
- -Lessons last approximately 1 hour
- -UC San Diego undergraduates, graduates, post-docs, and staff are welcome to volunteer